During the Civil War, forts were built on the land as part of the chain of defenses of Washington on the Virginia hills overlooking the Potomac River. In the 1930's Mount Eagle was used as a country club. In 1942 it became a private home again. The last owners, the Fifer family, had the land rezoned for residential and commercial development and sold it in 1966. The house was demolished in 1969, and in 1970 Metro acquired 20 acres of the property for the Huntington Metro station. Part of the land was leased from Metro for a county park, preserving old trenches and earthworks from the Civil War.
In November, 1979, International Developers, Inc. (IDI) purchased 35 acres of the former Mount Eagle property to build luxury condominiums. IDI owner Giuseppe Cecchi paid tribute to his Italian heritage by naming the complex "Montebello," beautiful mountain, but retained the name Mount Eagle on the access road as a tribute to the history of the property.
For a detailed history of the Montebello site and the area, see Montebello at Mount Eagle, by Nan Netherton, produced by Montebello Associates in 1982.